Upward Bound Program
WHAT IS THE UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM?
Upward Bound is an academic program designed to challenge high school students to develop the skills, study habits, discipline and attitude to succeed. The program’s ultimate goal is to prepare and motivate students to pursue a college education. Upward Bound offers a year-round comprehensive program that is divided into two components: an Academic Year and a Summer Residential Program.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Nothing! In fact, students actually earn a stipend for good attendance, involvement, and overall academic and social improvement throughout the year.
· Weekly tutoring: One day a week for two hours offering assistance in selected academic courses, study skills, and FCAT / SAT study skills.
· Monthly Saturday Sessions: Three hours of academic instruction, & Student Government meetings. Lunch and stipends provided.
· Social & Cultural Activities: Students attend one social or cultural activity each month. These include college fairs and UM activities and sporting events.
Upward Bound students who do not have to attend summer school earn the privilege to live in UM’s campus for six weeks. During this time students:
· Take academic classes and may earn one high school elective credit.
· Participate in non-academic and sports activities, including the Annual Florida Upward Bound Olympics.
· Participate in Life Skills Seminars about social and cultural issues.
· Seniors who have graduated take college-level courses at Miami-Dade or FIU.
WHAT COURSES ARE OFFERED?
English- Literature, Comprehension
Math- Geometry, Algebra I & 2, Analysis of Function, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus.
Social Studies- American History, World History & Citizenship, Government and Economics.
Science- Biology (lab), Chemistry (lab), Earth & Space Science, Physics
Spanish- for Spanish and English speakers
SAT / Study Skills Preparation
Our faculty is comprised of highly qualified instructors, primarily from the Miami Dade County Public School system.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
· Are you in 9th or 10th grade?
· Are you a potential first generation college student?
· Does your family meet income guidelines set by the US Department of Education?
· Do you need academic services?
· Are you interested in learning how to achieve a college education?
· Do you have a positive and winning attitude?
· Are you willing, through hard work, commitment, participation and dedication to accomplish the goals of Upward Bound?
If you answered yes to all of the above, this program may be for you!
HOW DO I APPLY???
It’s easy! You have 5 options:
· Download an application.
· Visit the UM campus and pick up an application from our office: 5606 Merrick Dr. Building 21 Z
· Write us for more information:
University of Miami
Upward Bound Program
PO Box 248106
Coral Gables, FL 33124-5590
· Email an application request or questions to:
· Ask your guidance counselor for more information.
** Students in target schools will receive preference **